Friday, April 19, 2013
The MSKTC will be releasing a narrated slideshow on Social Interaction After Burn Injury. Many burn injury survivors who have had a change in their physical appearance feel anxious about how people will react to them. This slideshow will inform you on strategies for improving social interactions.
Thursday, April 11, 2013
A host of burn model systems researchers will be participating in the in Palm Springs, California from April 23-26, 2013. Mary Elizabeth Murphy of the Pediatric Burn Injury Rehabilitation Model System will be acknowledged as this year’s ABA student scholarship recipient. Additionally, numerous model systems researchers will present papers and deliver lectures to advance the field of burn injury. Information about these presentations can be found in the conference website. A list of model systems researchers that will be participating in the conference can be found below:
Participating Burn Injury Model Systems
Boston-Harvard Burn Injury Model System
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, Boston, MA
· Colleen Ryan, MD, will moderate the following sessions: Plenary Session: The Organization and Delivery of Burn Care Committee - What's in a name? and Poster Session: Burn Prevention.
· Colleen Ryan, MD, Jeffrey Schneider, MD, and Dr. Ross Zafonte, DO, will present the poster titled Burn Readmissions Have Worse Outcomes than Patients with a Single Inpatient Rehabilitation Admission and Validation of the FIM in Burn Patients at Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities.
· Colleen Ryan, MD, Jeffrey Schneider, MD, and Felipe Fregni, MD, PhD, MPH, will present the poster titled Chronic Pain Following Physical and Emotional Trauma: The Station Nightclub Fire.
· Colleen Ryan, MD, will present the poster titled Five Year Experience with Burns from Glass Fireplace Doors in the Pediatric Population.
· Jeffrey Schneider, MD and Felipe Fregni, MD, PhD, MPH, will present the poster titled Chronic Pain Following Physical and Emotional Trauma: The Station Nightclub Fire.
· Jeffrey Schneider, MD, will present the poster titled Rehabilitation Workshop: Turning practice into research – making the research process friendly for every burn clinician.
· Ronald G. Tompkins, MD, will present the poster titled Role of Protein Farnesylation in Burn-Induced Metabolic Derangements and Insulin Resistance in Mouse Skeletal Muscle and Simvastatin Reduces Burn Induced Splenic Lymphocyte Apoptosis via Suppressing TNF-α Expression in Mice.
· Ronald G. Tompkins, MD, will present the poster title Mouse Transcriptone Array (MJAY) Study of the Genomic Effects of SS31 in Muscle after Burn Injury, Post Translational Modification (PTM) of Nuclear Binding Protein FOXO3 in Relation to Insulin Resistance and Muscle Wasting after Burn Injury and Relative Contribution of Hepatic Glucose Production and Peripheral Glucose Uptake to Postburn Hyperglycemia in Rats.
Pediatric Burn Injury Rehabilitation Model System
Shriners Burns Hospital, Galveston, TX
· Mary Elizabeth Murphy will present on Long Term Quality of Life of Pediatric Burn Survivors Using the WHODAS II and Long Term Quality of Life of Burn Survivors Using Burn Specific Health Scale Brief.